Yes, by "these," I mean Crocs. There is even a whole colorful store in the best shopping district in Hong Kong devoted to the distribution of these Crocs.
I know that Bush has been seen sporting these recently, but he's hardly the icon of fashion and trends now. So WHY would the general population be seen in public wearing these, when they are not boating or doing outdoorsy things as they were originally designed for? They are certainly not flattering no matter what angle you're looking from.
But according to the Crocs site, these are the reasons why:
- Really soft, super comfortable, molds to your feet: well people are certainly not wearing them because they look good
- Barely there, weighing only 6 ounces: flip flops are barely there either...
- Vented so air passes through, keeping feet cool: again, so are flip flops
- Non-marking slip-resistant soles: a valid point
- Bacteria and odor resistant: thats certainly a plus seeing as how it looks plastic
- Ultra-hip Italian styling: It may possibly be Italian styling, but ultra hip?
- Port holes allow water and sand to pass through: and thats a good point because?
- Can be sterilized in water and bleach: well if it allows water and sand through, it'll obviously allow water and bleach through.....
- Easy maintenance, just wipe clean: it does look plastic...
- Orthotic molded foot bed for ultimate comfort and support: Is this the same as #1?
Basically, comfort, support and practicality are their selling points. So unless you are boating and doing outdoorsy things in which case these shoes may be practical, please, do NOT wear them around in public. There are just as comfortable and more easy on the eye options out there, like flats, sneakers, flip flops and *gasp* (even) birkenstocks!
Photo Credits: Crocs